CBN and Sleep
CBN is not as well known a cannabinoid as CBD, but CBN has many uses. One use for CBN is it can promote better sleep. The sleep benefits of CBN have even been discussed by reputable publications such as Forbes and Healthline.
What is CBN?
CBN is Cannabinol. Cannabinol is a cannabinoid produced in hemp. CBN is an oxidative product of THC; that is, THC turns into CBN when it oxidizes. It oxidizes when it is exposed to heat and light.
CBN is found in mature cannabis plants, which makes it a rarer cannabinoid. It is available in only small quantities, and it is not so easy to extract CBN from the plant.
The Advantage of CBN
THC has sleep and pain relief properties. But THC also can give the psychoactive, euphoric “high” associated with cannabis. CBN has the benefits of THC but doesn’t give the high or other negative side effects. 
This is why CBN is a valuable natural resource. It doesn’t have the side effect profile of other natural sedative agents such as melatonin, and it doesn’t have the downside of THC.
BETTER SLEEP WITHOUT SIDE EFFECTS
THC gives a high because it binds to nervous system receptors. CBN also binds to these receptors, but with only about one-tenth the strength of THC.  This means THC benefits without THC side effects. There is no high with CBN.
Taking CBN instead of other natural sleep remedies doesn’t require supplementing melatonin. It gives a gentle sedative effect without a morning grog effect.
One study found CBN resulted in a “significant prolongation of sleeping time”. 
Like its cousin CBD, CBN also reduces inflammation-based pain. If you sleep poorly due to pain, CBN can be an effective remedy without the side effect profile of other natural remedies.
Takeaway Better Sleep: About Cannabinol
Was How to Get Better Sleep with CBN useful? Read more about CBN Benefits in What is CBN? About Cannabinol
- Turner, C.E. and Elsohly, M.A. (1979), Constituents of cannabis sativa L. XVI. A possible decomposition pathway of Δ9‐tetrahydrocannabinol to cannabinol. Journal of Heterocyclic Chemistry, 16: 1667-1668.
- Cannabinol Derivatives: Binding to Cannabinoid Receptors and Inhibition of Adenylylcyclase Man-Hee Rhee, Zvi Vogel, Jacob Barg, Michael Bayewitch, Rivka Levy, Lumir Hanuš, Aviva Breuer, and Raphael Mechoulam, Journal of Medicinal Chemistry 1997 40 (20), 3228-3233
- Hayes Wong, Brian E. Cairns, Cannabidiol, cannabinol and their combinations act as peripheral analgesics in a rat model of myofascial pain,
Archives of Oral Biology, Volume 104, 2019, Pages 33-39, ISSN 0003-9969
- Karniol I, G, Shirakawa I, Takahashi R, N, Knobel E, Musty R, E: Effects of Δ9-Tetrahydrocannabinol and Cannabinol in Man. Pharmacology 1975;13:502-512. doi: 10.1159/000136944
- De Petrocellis, L., Ligresti, A., Moriello, A.S., Allarà, M., Bisogno, T., Petrosino, S., Stott, C.G. and Di Marzo, V. (2011), Effects of cannabinoids and cannabinoid‐enriched Cannabis extracts on TRP channels and endocannabinoid metabolic enzymes. British Journal of Pharmacology, 163: 1479-1494.
- Yoshida, H et al. “Synthesis and pharmacological effects in mice of halogenated cannabinol derivatives.” Chemical & pharmaceutical bulletin vol. 43,2 (1995): 335-7.
4 Comments Add yours
thanks for the info! i dont like melatonin much but do want to use a natural sleep remedy
Havent heard of cbn for sleep
I sleep so much better with CBD.
Cbd for sleep knocks me out and gives me dry mouth. Where can i get cbn?